Growing up in Iowa my dad had a wood burning stove that heated our house every winter. I never understood the need for slippers and house robes until I moved into a house heated by a furnace. The difference is night and day! I've been trying to convince Scotty to put a little wood burner in our mudroom but he says it's too much work. Which he's probably right, and I'm not completely convinced I'm ready to add lumber jack duties to my list either.
But I still wanted to add some warmth to our home, so he agreed to put in a faux fireplace. I began to search for one to buy and was not impressed at all. If there was one word to describe them, it would be faux, which means fake. So I began researching DIY faux fireplaces and I came across this one This blog has inspiration galore to keep things simple and authentic. I fell in love with the fireplace they built for their guest house, and thought it would be perfect for us.... If you need a breath of fresh country air check out.... A Country Farm House .
If you missed how I made a dresser into a mantel, you can catch up here.
Researching so many fireplaces I began to love brass andirons. Amazon had some for around $200. Then I stopped into the Habitat for Humanity and ran into these. My mouth dropped when I saw the 20 dollar price tag. I thought surely 20 a piece. Nope, $20 for all, and it came with a huge fireplace screen fit for a castle. They add just the right touch to my fireplace and gave it a little more depth.
My one big expense was the heating insert. I went with an electric Duraflame insert. I bought mine on amazon for $80.00. I think the flame looks really good for an electric insert. I looked at a lot of Duraflame youtube videos before I bought it, and was pretty impressed. It also does a nice job heating our space too.
The next thing to tackle was the hearth. I thought about tiling it. Then I thought about making a concrete slab to lay on the hardwood floor or buying a piece stone or granite. Then the thrifty side of me thought, why not make a piece of wood look like stone.
Dremel tool out and began to make cracks in the stone and ruffed up the edges. Then I ruffed up the top of the wood with a sander. Next I got some old wall paint and began to swipe paint all over the board with a putty knife. The putty knife made it look like it had many layers instead of a flat brushed look. You might be able to add some plaster too for extra texture too.....
$80 for the Duraflame insert
$20 for the androids
$20 for the brick paneling
$5 Can of Poly
Everything else was an old dresser, left over trim pieces, paint I had on hand, and a strong will to do this for nothing:)